Sunday, May 18, 2008

Negotiation Tips from a Sports Agent

Last week I sat down with a sports agent who represents top-level players from the NFL, NBA and MLB. In the midst of our conversation, he shared some outstanding tips on how to score big for a client, while also maintaining the personal relationships with leagues and owners that buttress his reputation.

1) Be prepared. “I happen to be in a business where you can persuade people. To do it right, we out-prepare anyone.”

2) Control as many aspects of the negotiation as you can. “Sometimes it’s just me, one-on-one at dinner. Sometimes I come with multiple people, guns blazing. You have to know who you’re dealing with and leverage the situation to your advantage.”

3) Know the other side’s priorities. “Lots of times, it’s cash. If you can give a little in one area, you can almost always gain a lot in another.”

4) Use time zones to your advantage. “If we’re on the West Coast talking to guys out East, we start late, order a pizza at 7 p.m., and beat the stamina out of ‘em. On the East Coast calling West, it’s all about the early morning negotiations.”

5) Know your opponent. “For a new negotiator, I’ll get them comfortable, bring them into my office, have my dog nuzzle up.”

6) Make them feel good in the end. “Let the other side win on the last point. You can kill ‘em in the war, let ‘em win the last battle.”

No comments: