Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympics Facebook Application

I'm happy to announce that the Facebook application I created (with George Mandis of Snaptortoise) is now up-and-running.

Olympic Games 2008 is a fun way to track medal standings by country, rank, or event. And though we don't have high usage numbers yet, this project has taught me a lot about the opportunities and challenges surrounding the promotion of a Facebook application. I've put links on content-sharing sites like Digg and Reddit, posted on group forums like Yahoo groups and Tribe, and mentioned it on StumbleUpon. So far, my best luck has come directly from Facebook, where friends and friends-of-friends have helped our little sports app take off.

The best part of this experiment has been what I've learned about running a project that unfolds in real time. If Uzbekistan gets a medal and we don't have a flag ready for that country, or there's a tie for bronze, we need to adapt quickly or lose viewers.

The hardest part of this project has been entering in stats for each event. Was there a way to automate this? Next time I'm looking for an open source data feed.

No comments: